[ak-ses-uh-ree] adj: contributing to a general effect; supplementary; subsidiary. [ak-ses-uh-riz] verb: to fit or equip with accessories.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

back to the basics. my Easter prayer.

John 3:16   

  16-18"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.                            The Message (MSG)




SO, I wasn't going to make an Easter post. Actually, I had talked myself out of it several times & and kept pushing the notion aside. But, this little voice in my head wouldn't stop nagging at me to just do it already (That's why I'm up writing about it after midnight on a Saturday night!) It's not that I don't want to talk about it...I mean Easter is the most precious of all holidays in my opinion. It relives the ultimate sacrifice. The most astounding miracle. The most incredible thing anyone has ever/will ever do for any of us. Honestly, I just didn't want to be another blogger writing about something just to write.

During any holiday season, I always seem to get my "feathers ruffled" if you will. I absolutely love the meanings behind each holiday we celebrate. Christmas-the birth of Christ. Thanksgiving-the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared a feast (yes, there are Christian ties to the holiday) Easter-The death & Resurrection of Jesus. Etc. Etc. It's the consumerism side of it that irks me. I try not to get wrapped up in the hoopla of it all....in the consumerism of it all. I don't always succeed, but I try. I try to reflect on the true meanings of each holiday, and try to fully grasp the weight of it.

Having said that, I also try not to judge those do. I don't have kids yet. I don't have to live up to the expectations of their hopeful little hearts waiting to see what goodies were left by each "holiday representative." I don't necessarily think that there is anything wrong with it either--IF we make sure they understand who, what & why we celebrate each holiday. And not just that the kiddos grasp it, but that we get it too. Each year. It's not something that is discussed once and forgotten, but its an open dialogue throughout the year.

I love the Easter bunny.
I love Santa.
I love the turkey & pilgrims. 
And I love how the celebrations bring families together, and people to God. 

Jesus died for you.
He was hung on a cross and bore all of your sins. 
He was buried in a tomb. 
He rose & ascended into Heaven. 
He loved you so much that He DIED for you. 
God sacrificed His ONLY son for you. 
(Let that sink in.)



My prayer is this:

That you will keep Him, and His love, and His sacrifice, and His hope, His gift, 
in the forefront of your mind. 
In the forefront of your conversations. 
In the forefront of your celebrations. 
In the forefront of your gifts. 
Don't get so wrapped up in the outfits, 
the pictures, 
the baskets,
 the egg hunts, 
the food, 
or all the "to'dos" that distract. 
Focus on the gift
Accept Him into your heart, your life.
Let Him take your burdens.
And give you LIFE again.


Would you die for someone elses sins? 
Would you sacrifice your child or loved one for someone's sins? 
Would you be publicly humiliated, beaten, & ridiculed for someone else?
I don't think I could do it.

"Thank You" doesn't seem sufficient enough.
Living out our lives daily attempting to live for Christ doesn't seem like enough.

Yet, all He asks of us to commit our lives to Him...to live in relationship with Him. He doesn't ask for perfection. He doesn't expect us to no make mistakes. He loves us UNconditionally. He just wants us to allow Him into our hearts.

Let's give Him that. Are you with me?

No comments: