[ak-ses-uh-ree] adj: contributing to a general effect; supplementary; subsidiary. [ak-ses-uh-riz] verb: to fit or equip with accessories.

Friday, April 20, 2012

can't we just be satisfied already

con·tent [kuhn-tent] 
adj
satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.
 
 
 
 Father help me:
To be satisfied with where I am. Right now. Not wanting what someone else has. Not wishing today away for the hopes of tomorrow. To be grateful for what I've been given. To not look backwards. To stay focused on what You decide to give me now.  To realize how blessed I truly am. To stay grounded. To stay humbled. To be satisfied with me. To be at peace with the present. To stop wanting so much. To stop my selfish desires. To be content in all things.
That's my prayer today. For myself & for you. 

 
 
Versus I'm clinging to:
 
You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.
 
So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you.
 
[ Content Whatever the Circumstances ] I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.
 
When you're invited to dinner, go and sit at the last place. Then when the host comes he may very well say, 'Friend, come up to the front.' That will give the dinner guests something to talk about! What I'm saying is, If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face. But if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself.
 
Do you want to stand out? Then step down. Be a servant. If you puff yourself up, you'll get the wind knocked out of you. But if you're content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty.
 
I've kept my feet on the ground, I've cultivated a quiet heart. Like a baby content in its mother's arms, my soul is a baby content.
 
 
AMEN

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I appreciate this prayer and these verses ... especially today. Thanks so much!